So, I got a tad bored yesterday while Will was taking his 4 1/2 hour nap. I also had some groceries that I needed to use up, including a 1 lb. bag of dried cranberries that I got from last week's produce order. I have never made scones before and decided to give them a whirl. I used a Simple Scone recipe and changed it up a bit and here's the result:
Here's my version of a Lemon Cranberry Scone Recipe:
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, frozen
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in cranberries.
3. Grate some of the lemon rind into mixture.
4. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, egg, and the juice of the lemon until smooth.
5. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large cough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball.
6. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-8 inch circle. It suggested using a cookie sheet, but I used a Pampered Chef pie dish. Sprinkle top with sugar.
7. If you wish you can cut the dough into 8 triangles and separate them, or keep them in a large circle like I did to bake.
8. Bake until golden, 15-17 min (if you separate them into triangles), or 25 min if cooking in a large circle.
9. Cool for 5 min.